Great Green Bottle Flies!
All ill-fated sortsWho sleep on doorways and in alleyways
Take a stumble to the corner
There's heavenly music played
No more taking recreation
With your dark defeated friend
Those who seek the consolation of the bottle
Never win
(Soap, Soup and Salvation by Maria McKee)
What's up with this song? Who sits around bemoaning with a bottle? An old friend, or your Teddy Bear, sure. But a bottle?
And is it a clear bottle, or a green tinted one? Is is glass or plastic? Glass bottles might have a problem here, because they break easily. Say you're a green tinted glass bottle and your buddy is depressed and bitching about the Cubs losing their 100th game of the season, and all of a sudden he stands up and throws you at a wall! Game over.
Or maybe you are a plastic ketchup bottle. That sucks because you can never get all the ketchup out, but at some point you are considered empty anyway, and then 'poof' you're recycled.
OK, let's get this straight...you are going to run across these people...today! People who collect old bottles. Any old bottle. They're old. They're bottles. They just sit there. They can hold liquids (unless they have a crack). I prefer bottles that are cold, and in the fridge, and hold beer. I collect those kind of bottles.
Actually, February is just hanging around, and being wet and cold and generally miserable. I'm gonna grab a couple friends out of the fridge and go commiserate on the sofa. Yeah, I'm starting to understand those song lyrics, thanks Maria.
Hey, I'm a Bottle
Jump up do follow
Me to my gigs
Kick back that last swig
Hey, I'm a bottle
Unto my last swallow
Come hoist me young Pips
Up onto your lips
Hey I'm a bottle
A freakin' brown bottle
Fancy colored my dear
Not none of that clear
Hey I'm a bottle
Drink me you'll waddle
No if and nor butts
Complete with beer guts
Hey hey. I'm a bottle
Not just any ole bottle
Take me, don't cry, sir
For I'm a Budweiser!
Happy TT, you crazy kids.

Bottle Fly : jpctalbot's photostream, flickr
Budweiser bottle: Downtown Ft. Wayne, 2008.
22 comments:
Great round-up of all things bottle. And therefore, a great Theme Thursday post.
Wow that was a bit different for you! Always a coldie in my fridge!
Has everyone left the photo to run to the fridge? Smashing back coldies.
Great meander! -Jayne
Liked this one and the different path you set upon, here ;)
i had a bottle collection once in college...
Come hoist me young Pips
Up onto your lips?!! You are wacky and I love you.
LOVE the bottle fly pic and I like the lyrics to her song. February is nasty today. We have rain mixed w/ sleet. Roads are slick.
very, very clever!
hadn't thought about blue bottles. here's to all things bottle!
I still wish it was a leap year, just an extra 24 hours...but I realize I'm in the minority. Here comes the lion!
I think your alcohol withdrawals are kicking in again...
Nice take!
I LIKE this TT from you!
Hmmmm, think I will interpret this as my very good excuse to invite some Pips over and escape the February BLAHS with a coldie!
Hi! Tom,
What an interesting (and quite true) song lyrics by Maria McKee, and what a very creative, fun post...Thanks, for sharing and
Tom said,"Happy TT, you crazy kids."
Ha!Ha!...Happy Theme Thursday to you too...Tom.
DeeDee ;-D
Perfect for a cold wet dreary snowy day. My favorite bottle is a pretty blue and holds some kick ass gin.
One Single Impression - Insomnia
Wonderful and funny. Happy TT
I prefer my bottles to hold wine--red wine. Mmmmm :). Though I often keep a few beers in the fridge for those who prefer them. Nice take on the bottle theme.
P.S. Many of the best stories have a sad ending when all is said and done, huh?
LOL! I prefer a bottle that is cold and holds beer! That about says it all!
`
'Bottle Fly'? - Ew, yuck!
Ode to Ale? - Oh, yeah!
great finale! ;-)
`
Bottletastic!
hmmm i do like that 2nd photo. certainly wouldn't be the same with a ketchup bottle
thanks. I snapped that in a downtown parking lot...the upended pallet looks weird in the background..and I tweaked the colors a bit.
Post a Comment