Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Beginning in the middle, Theme Thursday!



...where we left off:



Falling,
I reach-ed out
felt vainly to the rail,
tho the banister was absent-
oh woe!




...& now:

Tumble
from the landing
turned downside up I bounced
equilibrium in a funk,
I gasp.

Now I
am beginning
to fear for my own life
reaching the bottom of the stair
to stop.

Up top
holding his sides
my shadow's belly laugh
fills the well until the sunbeam
subsides.

Again
the curtain parts
sending my ill shadow
back to my aching prostate form,
benign.

Get up
from creaking boards
the door is just in sight,
my Nostrodomic enlarger
implodes!

Aha!
a voice peals out
as a sharp steeple bell;
'beware' intones the threatening
menace.

Beware,
and so I do
to make for the front door
which stands ajar for reaching there;
it slams.

The end
of the horror
it seems is not to be,
but it's only the beginning,
you see!

23 comments:

Mike said...

You should do a newspaper comic strip! I really love your drawings!

Brian Miller said...

oh the horror. really good...like this one...exploding things, slamming doors, laughing shadows...

Tess Kincaid said...

Nostrodomic enlarger??!

JeffScape said...

I think of Silverstein when I come here (which you've probably heard before). These are awesome.

Anonymous said...

Love the house and ghosties! And your Nostrodomic enlarger's warrantee ran out, hence the implosion-GAH! I hate when that happens!

And JeffScape's spot on about Silverstein...

Anonymous said...

Oh brilliant- thank you for the continuation!- but it looks like there is more....

Candie said...

That was great Tom!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

I really like the what you write... in a holistic way. Meaning, it all clicks together at the end. Until then, I'm wondering.

Baino said...

Damn those shitty shadows, they'll be the death of you step tumbling Thomases. I love your drawings too, I just wish I understood your poems!

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!

Megan said...

Howl's Moving Castle! :)

Alan Burnett said...

This is wonderfully surreal.

Betsy Brock said...

Love the take on this! And you really ARE the king of doodles!

Lisa Ursu said...

"oh woe!" "equilibrium in a funk"
Yeah! That is is so good.
5 cans of corn out of 5.

C.M. Jackson said...

amazing--very funny and I agre with Otin--get those drawings to a newspaper near you at once!! best-c

New Yorker wannabes said...

Great post once again lol

xoxo

e said...

Your drawings are wonderful. Great post.

Wings1295 said...

...ouch...

Fun stuff!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Is this finished? I think there will be more!
LOVE the drawings...what a crash!

Dreamhaven said...

Great drawing, Reminds me of the Nightmare before Christmas drawings. Happy TT

lettuce said...

Nostrodomic enlarger exploding - wouldn't wish that on anyone!

Not For Jellyfish said...

Fun and ouchie all at once! The drawings are fabu! Oh, and I do agree with JeffScape about the Silverstein-esque quality to your work.

tony said...

Words To Slide Down Banisters With.A Great Ride!