Sunday, September 13, 2009

augmented



The augmentation fad has
Really caught on…
Not the ‘in-thing’
Actually the norm in fact;
For in my time I have discovered many
With eyes so blue, so clear,
Their brains showed clean through!
Deep mops of hair, so thick that
Many a comb has been lost;
Spiders set up shop there--unnoticed--
Chickadees nest and return year after year.
My investigations have uncovered
Uncrooked fingers, siphoned blubber,
Electrolysis en masse .
Neck, arms, butts and breasts,
And get this: vocal chords.
This day alone I started upon hearing
Cary Grant and Ethyl Merman
Conversing, and turning to look seeing
They were Bob and Sue! Who knew?
So on a quest for filler,
Chapter 10 required a fluffing
And my grant providing leeway
For a plane ride and a cup of Joe,
To San Fran I flew to visit a couple so altered,
None knew their names.
Big Joe and Lulu they answered to, remembered they said,
When called.
Lulu was a fine girl, frilly bouncing and pure cream,
Her tufted white locks done up in pompoms and pink ribbons.
Big Joe with leather cuffs and scars,
Deliberately maintained, and studs all around.
Little was said, but I was offered crunchy snacks
And for a while we played catch with a tennis ball.
Lulu loved tinkle bells.
Our daughter--they proudly beckoned at her nursery door--
Was surely a beauty, not unlike her handsome folks.
Lovely ones, with exquisite progeny, no doubt.
I looked in, cute she was, as a button.
Snuggled deep into her pink bedding,
Contentedly chewing on a pink rubber bone.
Unaugmented, perfect as God made her,
Her genes generously passed from parents proud and doting.
Tinkerbell was etched upon her tag, and tinkle they did,
When she wagged at me.

15 comments:

Lisa Ursu said...

"Little was said, but I was offered crunchy snacks"
How about some corn instead?
I love this piece, and that pic is fantastic!
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Tom, cool piece! And "hi" to Toby( at least I think that's Toby )-LOL!

Tom said...

thanks Liza...the piece started as a short story, but i couldn't get into it, so resurrected it as whatever it is now, and of course the picture is a blur that turned out pretty cool,

yes Subby, that's my Toby--he doesn't listen and he doesn't sit still for a moment.

Baino said...

I used to sit under the kitchen table and grab the bacon rinds that my mother threw to the dog . . I quite liked "Winalot" crunchy snacks as a kid too. Love the shot of Toby shaking! The beauty of labradors is they just look plain silly if augmented although I did buy Lily a pink collar . .

Tom said...

Baino, can just see you hunkered under the table competing against the dog for cast offs! Funny!
I have a lot of trouble taking pictures of my pup, he is so black and fuzzy..sometimes he just comes out looking like a smudge...we find it hard to pick out which side is which at home too, as he lies curled up on the sofa.

Anonymous said...

What with this, and the cute pic of Toby, and my sister finding a cute little dog today...I so miss my little Zippy...(currently living with my parents). he's just gonna have to come home....

Tom said...

Cinnamon, i hope you get your little Zippy home soon...any pictures you can post?

Brian Miller said...

crazy pic, took me a bit...i toss the bid in for unaugmented...at least i am...all natural...odd the things we will go to, all to preserve...what?

Tom said...

I'm pretty much on your side here Brian, but...

... i don't know; we change our cars, paint our walls, buy new clothes, build new houses...why not change something physically about yourself that will REAlly make a difference in your life?

tony said...

Lovely Post.I want leather cuffs and scars too!

Candie said...

That was great and that picture is really cool!

Tess Kincaid said...

We had a Big Joe with leather cuffs and scars, my favorite big tom cat, so inappropriately named Muffin.

Reya Mellicker said...

Dog breeding is such a bizarre thing, isn't it? That said, some breeds are awfully cute. Some? Just awful.

I love them, though. Me? Dog person.

Oh yeah!!

Tom said...

Yeah...designer dogs, no denying the cuteness...but in definition they're just expensive mutts...delightful wonderful funny cute as a button mutts.

nn said...

The photo is so interesting that I forgot to read the text (I realized that there was a text when I read the comments).