Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thursday Shoe Post!

Great moments in Shoe History, not in chronological order!

1) Buster Brown is a comic strip boy--mischievous in every way! Now he is known for selling shoes…how odd!


2) Elves assist an elderly old man in producing shoes…old man pays off by making clothing for elves…elves become slaves for life…old man gets rich by selling shoe company to Buster Brown for a million bucks. flickr pic: Lachlan Hardy

3) Bilbo Baggins forgoes shoe wearing, preferring his furry feet, causing shoe sales to plummet in Hobbiton and surrounding areas. Economic crises ensues, enabling Sauron to build a big tower and look around woefully.


4) Podiatrist to the bugs, Horatio Whatsit creates 100 tiny shoes in a test-tube for his pet centipede.

5)”Don’t Tread on Me” slogan accepted by revolutionaries, but Nike shoe emblem is nixed for the flag design.


6) Old woman who lives in a shoe looking to sell. Shoe is a fixer-upper, but is in a great location close to shopping, schools and mass transmit. A must see!

7) The stiletto--’nuff said.

flickr pic:Francesca Anderson



8) FTD guy puts wings on shoes, halves delivery times.

9) The variety of shoes is diverse…there are walking shoes, running shoes, hiking shoes, bowling shoes, golf, cleat, skate shoes, snow shoes, and untold kinds of dance shoes, and for every sport there is a shoe, there is probably even a couch potato shoe--perhaps it is a slipper!

10) Imelda Marcos had 1060 pairs of shoes…she was a beauty queen and despot!

11) There is a sneaker tree in Nevada, must be true!

flickr pic: George Eastman

12) Famous movie shoes: Dorothy’s Ruby Shoes, Cinderella’s glass slippers, Spicoli banging a tennis shoe on his head..."Whoa, that's my head."


..........So what's your take on shoes?

17 comments:

Brian Miller said...

love the twisted take on history...a sneaker tree, really? was Bilbo a dem or repub? slightly surprised they did not adopt the swoosh, what with all the brand awareness...much fun!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! But not so sure about that sneaker tree...looks like a candidate for "Weird America"...

And I'll wear my flip-flops or moccasins for lounging( 'course, I don't have a couch! ). But what about...cross-trainers?( I know, I know, it's was a dumb idea, in the first place )...

Tess Kincaid said...

This was brilliant! And don't forget "The Red Shoes" (1948).

Candie said...

wow,cool thanks for that!:)

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Thanks for the (faux) history lesson! -Jayne

ArtSparker said...

Wonderful randomness, guerilla history.

Betsy Brock said...

Oh yes, and haven't we all had a pair gnawed on by a pet! tee-hee!

Debo Hobo said...

Thanks for the history tour. I like shoes all kinds of shoes, but I don't like to wear them in the house. Or in the woods at my mother's house.

Reya Mellicker said...

And The Red Shoes - amazing film and story. The devil was in those shoes. Oh yeah.

Holly said...

Nice random look at shoes!!!

Kate Hanley said...

Great! And if we're talking famous shoes, what about the sandal from Life of Brian?

The Silver Fox said...

"So what's your take on shoes?"

Mine? Umm... I wear 'em on my feet.

No?

(As an old time comic book & comic strip fan, I loved the Buster Brown references!)

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Hmmmm, why is it that people feel the need to throw the tied shoes up on the electrical wires?
Do they think they will be easily retrieved?
Do they hate the shoes and want them to be discarded with MUCH disdain?

Baino said...

Brilliant, I knew there'd be a twist. Always fun coming over here (and this one I understood!) Whoever invented the stilleto deserves to be poked in the eye with one! Twice!

Oh, I heard . . .shoes on telegraph wires indicate the location of a drug dealer or deal . .I can't work out if it's urban myth or not. . .I don't know any addicts . . perhaps it's just bullies pinching someone's shoes for the helluvit - the search continues!

tony said...

I dont know about Yours.But Shoes Run In My Family!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

okay I know it's not good to have favorites, especially for theme thursday, but I love, love, love your take on the shoe theme!!!

(don't tell anyone, actually since I'm so far behind maybe none of the players will know!)

Anonymous said...

kimy, AHA! Gotcha!-LOL!