
Very nice weather this weekend, and we finally got some rain, so the grass is starting to be a little less brown and a bit less crunchy.
.
So Toby and I wandered in and out of the plants and along the bricks picking errant weeds and grass that’s weeded its way into the path or planting beds. I picked, he chewed.
.
“Aye, best weed in the South Farthing.” That was the little man who lives in my garden. He was hanging out under the weeping mulberry, playing mumblety-peg with William Shakespeare.
.
“What?” I recognized the voice, but was confused by the words.
.
.
“Why ya dunderpuddin’ brain; ya pooldel hugger! Ya said ‘ole Toby, din’t ya? It’s a smokable weed I say, from the South Farthing! Git wit it, dundlepoo!”
.
Must be true, he would know,
.
.
“Hey,” said I, “I thought you were going to let up on the weeds this year! Look at all these weeds.”
.
“Well, ye booger…ye high flying squasher! Look at that beast! Ahgg! Get it back, I say. That black beast, that coco puff!”
.
.
Toby was sniffing at the little man. Toby likes chewing on little things like the little man. Toby found a baby sparrow that had fallen from the bird house and was sniffing at it earlier in the month. He gummed it a little, just to get the general taste of baby sparrows, I think, but otherwise was pretty gentle. I
investigated and got my ladder out, and a plastic bag to pick up the wee thing, then pushed it back into the birdhouse. If it lived I don’t know.
investigated and got my ladder out, and a plastic bag to pick up the wee thing, then pushed it back into the birdhouse. If it lived I don’t know..
“That’s a dark, crazed mammal with teeth, a hairy pooka bear from Hades! It has beady black eyes and drool!” The little man was actual coherent, in his panic.
.
.
I pulled Toby back some. I could see where the little man was coming from, because seeing Toby coming at you from eye level can be a bit daunting…he is fast and his white teeth stand out pointedly from his black muzzle. “He’s just a puppy, he’s more curious than anything…he just wants to taste you a little bit.”
.
“What, ahem, flabberty whacking moles and a toaster full of wheezes on you! A pox and red worm drool fits for the Toby monster! Honking wet poodleawhatzits! My bones!”
.
.
“He’s a poochon, not a whatzits.”
.
“####! More weeds! Willy, hand me the Burpee weed catalogue! Weeds all around!”
.
.
Shoot, I guess I’d better keep Toby away form the William mulberry tree. I think I’ve got a long season of weed picking ahead of me…sigh.


9 comments:
Tony I don't know if you're old enough to have grandchildren (I certainly am not!) but they're going to have a ball pootling around your pansies with the Tobster and you! Lily, my animalian confused yet furry companion has a rather different take on birdies and likes to retrieve ailing ducks which end up in my laundry in a darkling box until they're well enough to poo at which time they are released on my neigbour's pond! Mucky work.
tobey looks harmless enough, maybe if the wee man in the garden worked on his gruff a bit, he's get less ruff. thanks for the delightful trip through the garden. your man adds a bit of personality to it. wonder if he ever lost any toes playing mumblety peg?
Not a peaceable kingdom, then. At least Toby doesn't appear to be a banshee.
Burpee has a "weed" catalogue? Ach! Toby, eat little man!
Baino...no grandkids, but my kids are now getting into their early twenties, so i suppose i'm old enough. You have a humanitarian dog? that's awesome.
Brian...usually don't get close enough to count all his fingers and toes, but he has a nasty scar on his face, probably from sword fighting with the Willy the Mulberry.
Artsp...no, not a banshee...but he whines a bit when he's being ignored.
Subby...now don't be teaching my doggie any NEW bad habits.
Tom, moi?( grinning )
A nice slice of life and enjoyed the photos; )
Toby sounds like our Lucy who would gum up a bird whereas our other dog would just commit bird murder outright! Sadly I report that she has, and even more sad, I am like you with weeds to pick. Who makes these rules anyway?
Sobered up that little man in a big hurry, didn't you Toby? Good dog!!
You pick and he chews - sounds like a great partnership.
Thanks for the look around your beautiful garden.
Post a Comment