Wednesday, December 9, 2009

snow what? coming tommorrow...Toby snow footage.


Ah the snow; it is a funny thing...and many a historical moment was affected by said fluffy white stuff, such as:

Snow skiing dates back more than 6000 years...in Russia where the oldest set of skis were found. Written references come from Northern China, around 200 B.C.
Clumsy Carp and the Skinny Chick used skis to escape from rampant dinosaurs before the wheel was invented.
'In the early 1900s, skiers created their own terminology to describe types of snow, including the terms "fluffy snow," "powder snow," and "sticky snow." Later, the terminology expanded to include descriptive terms such as "champagne powder," "corduroy," and "mashed potatoes."'--from nsidc.org

George Washington crossed the Delaware River on 12-25-1776, mostly because of the blinding snow. Not far away the Delaware Memorial Bridge was open to foot traffic, but in retrieving mittens from coat the general spilled his change purse, so in any case wouldn't have been able to pay the toll.

Here is some Wild History on the snowman. Seems he started out innocently enough but eventually turned to drinking and smoking and eventually becoming “a tipsy snowman chasing a girl with a stick”...Oh, and then Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes began torturing them.

pic by veganbilly@flickr


Don't forget the Bumble. He's abominable!

The snow leopard picks up his dry cleaning in early October, lest the snows come early and he is caught out in the bright orange spotted suit.

A snow angel is described by Wikipedia as “a simple depression in snow in the shape of an angel.” That's about it. No history, no instructions, nothing. No picture, no links, no scantily clad snow angels holding bottles of beer, nothing. Scandalous!


Valdez, Alaska averages 326 inches of snow, annually. That's a lot o' snow!

It has snowed an inch in Phoenix, AZ twice, in the 1930's. And once, when I visited there, it snowed over spring break. The rooftops were white. It was a miserable week.

Snow is edible! But in urban areas it may be infected by SMOG (yuck)!! Sometimes snow may contain algae and will be red, and is said to taste sweet!

Snow flakes are commonly under a half inch in diameter, but can be as big as 2 inches. Does size matter?

24 comments:

Lisa Ursu said...

I want to know what squat tag, and "stealing hot biscuits" are.
That is rather scandalous about the snow angel.
"Snow is edible!"
Yeah, but don't eat the yellow stuff.
Happy tt.

JeffScape said...

Snow angels are depressed???

Egads! What does it take to cheer them up???

Kris McCracken said...

I have seen snow TWICE.

Lizzie said...

Where in the world did you hear that snow agels are depressed? I always feel freedom and joy when doing my own snow angels. :)

Lizzie said...

Where in the world did you hear that snow agels are depressed? I always feel freedom and joy when doing my own snow angels. :)

Ronda Laveen said...

As Liza sez, don't eat the yellow snow (Frank Zappa's advice from the 70s...God rest his soul.) General Washington and snow? Go, man, Go!

Brian Miller said...

what cool and interesting snow stories...i love calvin and hobbes, and it looks as if someone pulled off a rendition...poor depressed snow angels...happy tt!

Reya Mellicker said...

Snow facts to know and tell! Very cool. It's the closest we'll get to snow here in DC. Maybe it'll snow once in February, maybe. I shouldn't complain about the lack of snow, should I? Except, I LOVE snow.

In Tahoe they get 18' of snow a year. Loved living there. I skiied, yes I did. My ski nickname: SNOWFACE. That explains a lot about how bad a skiier I was. But I had fun.

Enjoy the snow! If possible ...

Betsy Brock said...

Interesting tidbits there....I didn't know that about Washington!

Tess Kincaid said...

They say when Washington crossed the Delaware it was during a mini-ice age. Brr.

Wings1295 said...

Great stuff! And the Bumble - he makes anything great even greater!

Baino said...

And no two snowflakes are the same! Which makes me wonder, how do they know? I mean who sits there examining every snowflake? Noice! Eat snow? No no no!

e said...

I think I'll pass on the edible snow...Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Calvin did have some rather disturbing sculptures, wot? I like that first shot and the crystal blue colour!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

I did not most of these factoids.
I guess I am snow illiterate. Great post! -jayne

Leah said...

Excellent assortment.

I love to eat the snow in the Adirondacks; I wouldn't dare in NYC!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

I've always had a soft spot for BUMBLE!!!

And...I always KNEW that snowmen have a shifty side!

Anonymous said...

Cool post. I learned something new. :D

The pic of the snowman squirting blood out of his eyes is sick but hilarious. Love it!

tony said...

sweet edible snow is the way to go (That's Poetry!)

Candie said...

Lol,nice research and original post as usual!I like the snowmen and Bubbly and snow angels are pretty,never seen one holding a beer though.

Kate Hanley said...

I love the bumble and forgot all about him until this post. I should show my kids the info on eating snow. Even if we get a light dusting they insist on eating it!

Dreamhaven said...

Love this post. Snow angels cure depression, they are not depressed.
Have a happy TT

Michael said...

did you actualyl look up 'snow angel' yourself? I didn't know that but was even more surprised to learn just how old skiing is!! Whoa.

lettuce said...

"depression in the snow"

:-[