Friday, November 13, 2009

Tom & Dinosaur Hand Review 3 Movies!

Reviews on: Mama Mia, Milk, and Meet the Robinson's.

Dinosaur Hand: Is it an all M's Movie Matinee?
Tom: Clever, but no; just a coincidence.
DH: There are no coincidences...huh, huh?
Tom: Anyway, stopped at the library and picked up these three movies--I remember seeing them all advertised, and their trailers looked pretty good. Also, Milk was highly praised by critics and by fellow bloggers, well one that I remember.
DH: Chocolate.
Tom: Huh?
DH: I highly praise chocolate milk.
Tom: The movie Milk is about the gay struggle during the 70's.
DH: Sure, with all the really bad music is was hard to be happy, fer sure.
Tom: You know, Dino, i was just a kid during the 70's, and i never zoned in on all the civil rights stuff; gays, blacks, women's rights, Vietnam, even anti-semitism. I was eating saltines and was blissfully unaware.
DH: Cookies are better. With milk.
Tom: So this type of movie is a great boon for my generation. I liked one line Milk used in a debate, something like this: 'if it were true that children emulated their teachers, then there'd be a hell of a lot more nuns running around.' Revealing and thought provoking...movies like this help people see beyond their own sheltered lives and invite us to walk in other's shoes.
DH: eh, that leaves me out. I don't even get to turn doorknobs. Fooie.

Tom: Did you like Meet the Robinson's?
DH: It was very colorful. There was a dinosaur, briefly.
Tom: Our copy skipped at the last chapter. We watched the whole thing and missed the ending.
DH: eh, whatever.

Tom: What about Mama Mia?
DH: Singing and dancing, jive turkey, do the hustle, woo woo woo. Moving and a groovin', show me some skin, bro. Woo ha ha!
Tom: This movie musical was upbeat and set around Abba songs, which are for the most part very recognisable and infectious.
DH: So is a rash.
Tom: You've never seen Meryl Streep like this, people. I consider her maybe the best actress of our time, and in this she was way over the top...but it's a musical, so I guess that's good!
DH: Which one was she?
Tom: Dino, she was the lead female!
DH: Mama Mia! No one told me!
Tom: There was no Mama Mia; that was just one of the songs, dufus.
DH: She married Chef Boy R Dee.

Tom: Out of the three I would definitely recommend Milk...
DH: ...just skip the kissing parts.

photo credit: therumour1988's photostream/flickr

13 comments:

ArtSparker said...

saltines...with butter. Many books read with saltines with butter.I wonder if dinosaur hand would like Snow Cake (movie)?

Brian Miller said...

will check out Milk...saw it at the library the other day...mama mia...ehh...it was interesting...but add dinosaur hand and anything becomes interesting! have a great weekend!

Baino said...

I haven't seen Milk yet might give it a go but I guess you've gotta be in the mood . . mmmm chocolate milk . .thirsty now gotta go!

Tom said...

Hi Artsparker..DH has not heard of Snow Cake. Does it have explosions? He is tired of singing and dancing.

Brian, Dino says ZZZ, but i liked it.

Baino...it's good, you'll enjoy it.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

though i agree with meryl's status as one of the best actors of our times, i just can't get my head around meryl in a musical which features abba tunes. mama mia!!

speaking of great actors, sean penn is another and milk was marvelous!

Lisa Ursu said...

"I was eating saltines and was blissfully unaware."
Those were the days?
Haven't seen any of these movies. Milk is only one that interests me, but chocolate milk would be even better. I love Meryl. I even have She Devil on DVD.

JeffScape said...

Not seen Milk, though it's on my list.

And in a not-so-typical fashion, I found myself enjoying Mamma Mia! Who knew?

lettuce said...

haha
like a rash

have missed lots of films lately good and bad

but hoping to see Men who stare at goats this weekend...

CiCi said...

I wonder if our library has one or all of these movies. We are at the library once a week and check out four to five movies. I haven't seen any of these movies in your post. Will check them out and then check them out. Thanks for the chocolate milk reminder too.

Anonymous said...

oh I love your little chats with Dino-hand!

havn't seen 'Milk' but will look out for it now.

I saw 'Mama Mia' in a cinema- the sing-along version. The whole theatre was singing- it was surreal. In this particular cinema there was a bar and the chap next to me was getting slowly sozzled on real ale and every now and then he'd raise his glass and shout 'Go, Meryl!'.

Mike said...

Ahh, I would probably fall asleep during any of those! I have a short attention span sometimes. What were we reviewing again?? haha!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Maybe dH wants his own movie, then? -J

Anonymous said...

Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
anyhow thanks for the good read!