Wednesday, February 20, 2013

7 - the past is practice



In the beginning:
The universe is so large,
reasonably I will never make it back
to the place I started.
However...
in many ways it is all the same.
Revealing for my own piece of mind
the reasons for my undue captivity
my banishment to the electric birdcage
is an unfortunate preoccupation,
a condition relegated to one forever alone
in the deep recesses of space.
The spaces are only in my perception.
While in an electric birdcage one
delves,
introspection is inevitable.

In the beginning
I floundered and expressed my
dismay by flinging to the stars
and into them;
mayhem, my coherent response
to a dearth of representation.
The usual questions recycled and fueled my rage.
Finally what was left
beyond the ruined galaxy
was myself alone in my
birdcage, susurrus against a backdrop
of dark matter.

No problem
where there is one,
there are a million more
and I set a goal of visiting all
if not merely as many as One wills.
Never tho did I come across the sorrow,
or the cause of my dismay:
the lords of the universe
forgetful of far flung corners
and warring now on a galactic level
disturbing the peace.

I find myself no match
and remain clear of Their quarrels
but my caged heart pines for the souls below
grubbing in the dearth of a neverending gloam
like a home spun awry and dropped into the chasm.
I catch glimpses of a world torn in twain
of a people high, cloud dwelling, sucking on the ether
and a second, lowly, setting fire to the future.
O'er the clouds and ozone the One recoils from the soot,
His duty to preserve beauty is broken like the proverbial chain
and minions of desolation hold court on a field of waste.

No nearer to the truth of my captivity
I see above and below the consequence
of the universal deity -
as One travels on eclectic byways
giving thought thus birth
reveling in the glory of relevance
and fleeing to unsung infinities to begin again.
This is the way it is what it is where we are
right now.
I have some notion of this
have partaken in the process
history is written in the stars.

It may be time to revisit the past.

2 comments:

Baino said...

This seemed very out of place to me at first so I'm glad I printed the whole story and read it in one go.

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Ahhhhh...