Perhaps later I'll post some flora pictures, hasta manana.
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Hola ! We have just returned from the Riveria Maya on the Yucaton Peninsula, specifically Playa Del Carmen which is east of Cancun. Many fine things were to be seen, and tasted, here for a week. Unbelievably I am sitting here and can still feel my body being tossed around by the ocean. I would recommend heartily a vacation there, especially if you are into eating and drinking. But for now I thought I'd post a few pictures of the local fauna in and around the area.
Coral pieces washed up onto the beach. Some of these pieces are as big as your outstretched hand. I saw some fine specimens the size of a big head wearing a hat. Ha. They wouldn't fit in my carry on, dammit. Are these considered animal life? Well, I suppose they were once alive...
Howdy little urchin. This tiny guy rolled up the beach by the rocky area. Almost no shells on this beach...I wondered if it was because of the huge coral reefs.
The first time I saw one I jumped. Cripes! Iguanas that are maybe 2 or 3 feet long? They come out of their holes to sun on the rocks. We saw these everywhere, from our location to Puerto Morelos and even into the interior. Excellent beasts! I hear they taste like chicken.
Mexicans cleaning up the beach.
Tourists messing up the beach. Well, I'm sure after the yoga they'd be stretched out somewhere with a dirty monkey or a blue Hawaii getting red as a lobster
In the little towns and Mayan villages were dogs that wandered freely, but they mostly lounged in the shade.
The frigate birds floated above our hotel catching the thermals. It was very windy where we stayed, and the surf was crazy. Up the road at Pto Morelos the water was calm and the beach was smooth and white.
The reefs depend on the Mangrove swamp and the swamp depends on the reef. So the natives are trying very hard to work with hotels, etc, in keeping the marshlands healthy. Well, you know how that goes.
These birds are brownish and black and everywhere. If you eat outside in one of hotel cafes, don't leave your food unattended or they will swoop in and make off with it. We learned this lesson early and laughed aloud watching them have their way throughout the week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
nice...great snaps...and sounds like a wonderful trip! saw lizards a lot in FL when we lived there, a few rather big...glad you had a great time!
this was an early 25th anniversary present to ourselves. paradise, and quite renewing. that is until the long plane ride(s) home, which can sort of suck the life from your body.
Welcome back! And Happy Anniversary. Wonderful images. I'm feeling very land-locked now. Love that you can still feel the waves.
sounds like a great time Tom.
love the photographs.
~robert
Oh pish you don't know what a long plane ride is! Glad you had a great time and yes, please post more pics, it's the closest I'll ever get to Mexico for a while! Love the iguana. Very cool.
Have yet to see the Yucatan. Thanks for sharing these bits with us, and happy anniversary!
It's your tone more than anything, but I can tell that this was a wonderful way to celebrate a milestone anniversary. So glad you had fun.
tom, you make me laugh in kind of a sad way, the locals cleaning up and then the tourists doing their bit. what a strange world we live in.
i'd have spent hours, if not days, with my hands filling my pockets with shells and stones, only to return most of them, fighting with myself over which one was most beautiful. what, am i five? not far off, i guess. and i'd have run from that iguana!
xo
erin
Haha messy tourists, same the world over when they spy a beach ;)
Local feathered ones look interesting as do the lounging lizard and pup, lovely captures*!*
Post a Comment