Sunday, July 11, 2010

DC sketch & a little ditty















She shuffled and dealt
I anted up—
we exchanged bits of ourselves
as easily as you'd play a hand
going all in she said I called her bluff
and gave it back in spades
I lost my shirt, she stole my heart
and never gave it back.



this doodle i drew sitting on a park bench under an arbor behind the apartment building my wife rented for 6 weeks.
the shadow people are borrowed from a later photograph, and at the bottom is a little nod to the area of town we were living, Pentagon City--a surreal Pentagon and memorial...although i'm not sure what the memeorial is; maybe airforce?

11 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice sketch tom...hehe, i like that kinda poker...smiles.

Harnett-Hargrove said...

This is 'easier' than usual, is it?.... but, as usual, I like it! -J

Baino said...

No gaping mouths? You must have been very relaxed when you doodled this. I love your ditty, and so will she.

Woman in a Window said...

Sweet sweet you.

There is something so intimate in handwriting. It feels as though I've seen you there soft in the shadow of your wife's apartment. Very nice.

xo
erin

RA said...

I enjoyed this tremendously. Very witty. :)

JeffScape said...

That sketch is awesome and totally unexpected. Yes, I feel that way... sue me.

The memorial is a 9/11 memorial, if it's the one with the weird-looking benches.

Tom said...

no--this memorial is three curved spikes rising into the air...i need to ask my wife..i want to see the 9-11 memorial, we never got around to seeing it the last ime i was there, but we did tour the pentagon, and that was pretty cool

JeffScape said...

Yeah, that's the USAF memorial. I've not been to the 9/11 one, but I'm under the impression they're pretty much within sight of each other.

Tess Kincaid said...

Fun. I love to see handwriting samples. It's so wonderfully personal.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

yep the memorial of which you speak is to the af!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

whoops sorry, should read others comments...see jeff did address that.

btw love the doodle!