Tuesday, January 19, 2010

shifting universi


bon mot: such is life.

My friend Riley had on one occasion launched for me my own alternate universe, my only stipulation being Clarke's most tenebrous vision of the future, Childhood's End, was neither written or supposed.
Stepping through I became impelled to have coffee with a woman in heels carrying cream to her Lexus;
she paid obviously foregoing a meeting, but never forgot the minutes frivolously spent with a stranger who wanted nothing and had nothing to give. The moment was enough to chink the equation, turning one world into a purposeless cog in the universal machination. Elsewhere a black hole spat festoonery from its arse end and a further spark of imagery coalesced, one where Clarke must doom the suspect civilization. Do not ponder the whys or fret whatifs—all earthly decisions are programmed in the heat of an empirical singularity light years beyond our control. My return to Clarke's universe was to gather intangibles and to leave a rose the variety of which was never meant to be adored and on its petals bloomed a tenet of humility: that humanity is doomed be certain; the door to there is shut and the reality is that here we are living an honestly ongoing futile existence of neither here nor there.

8 comments:

Brian Miller said...

i sometimes think i come from an alternate universe, neither here nor there.

that was a trip.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I feel like I've been spat out the arse of that black hole...ouchies!

JeffScape said...

Hah! Not sure Clarke would agree with "that humanity is doomed be certain," but he'd dig your style!

;)

Tom said...

gee, that'd be excellant, Clarke was a literary hero of epic proportions. Wonder what tales he's spinning through the cosmos right now...

Reya Mellicker said...

I really need to live in a reality in which Childhood's End was written and published, and in which I read that book.

He explained the scary sound of sirens as well as the devil like no one before or since.

I like living here, oh yeah.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike said...

I just came from the Walking Man to here! I have never been so lost in my entire life as I have been for the last 10 minutes! hahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!