Wednesday, August 18, 2010

TT- A Brush with Insignificance

I feel like Dante, lost in the nine levels of hell
—I'd taken a wrong turn and Virgil my ever vigilant guide
had left without me.
He crawled up over Satan's scaly carapace
into the fresh air of a transitory state.
I stayed believing myself secure from the horrors that belied me, but even as I cleared a new oasis
and stood back to refresh myself
the void crumbled in about itself
filling in like the sand
fills a dug hole on a beach.
The waves go out,
the waves come in.
This is called Job Security,
but it is a little piece of hell on earth...
Now I've succumbed to the pleasures
of my home, where I recline
and wield my brush,
dipping into the infinite palette
waving it higlety piglety at a fresh canvas.
It is a joy to escape the rigors of responsibility
into a paradise of distraction. What was, isn't now,
and tomorrow's another day; what is it they say?
“Carpe diem?”
I say 'fresh fish smells best in nature's broth'.
Ha ha, not really—that's stupid.















21 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

My greatest fear is insignificance.

Brian Miller said...

haha. it does feel nice some days not to have so much responsibility...never been one for much fish soup though...smiles. love the doodles tom.

the linky is up now for tt. mine will be up in a bit...got a little overzealous on brushes and putting two brush posts back to back...

Everyday Goddess said...

I don't have job security unless you count being a mom. Carpe diem? Isn't that fish soup?

JeffScape said...

Haha! Very nice. So what exactly does fresh fish smell best in?

And Dante went through nine levels. :P

Julie said...

In comparison with the gaping mouth-holes, I think fish soup is looking a good choice. Nice take on the theme especialy with the inclusion of the sketches.

Baino said...

Ah . . felt like that for many many years Tom, the price we pay for raising a family and living under our own roof I guess. And you wield your brush (and your pencil) with great finesse.

Betsy Brock said...

The worst part would be hitting a tooth as you fell in! Ouch!

Hilarious doodles, as always!

Hope you've enjoyed your time off.

One Prayer Girl said...

I just thought this TT was delightful and I loved the pics.

My TT will be up this evening.

PG

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Tom, loved this prose! ...the fresh air of a transitory state... to wake every morning thus ... -J

Claudia said...

oh wow - enjoyed reading this - and enjoyed the drawings - did you do them...?
Carpe diem my friend!

Gabriela Abalo said...

very creative TT!

My greatest fear is to believe in "security" nothing is secured, nothing is permanent...

mouse (aka kimy) said...

better perhaps than a brush with death

job security, is there such a thing?

The Silver Fox said...

Lotsa good thoughts there, and the drawings were a hoot.

moondustwriter said...

your drawings have me in stiches.
I always one to flip thru the pages to look at the pictures.
did you write something too???

Happy Thursday

Vinay Leo R. said...

sometimes, just having less responsibility works! :)

PattiKen said...

Very creative! Love the doodles.

What was, isn't now,
and tomorrow's another day.

Yeah, huh?

tony said...

Not Painting but Waving [& Visa Versa]
Happy TT Sir!

California Girl said...

your brush is pretty darn talented.

Lisa Ursu said...

"The waves go out,
the waves come in."
brings to mind fish flopping
coated in sand
some go back out (it's like a long drowning)
but the waves always bring them back
Tom, you have no idea how powerful that is for me.

I love the closing line.
LAUGHTER!
A million guffaws to you (I ran out of corn).

Lisa Ursu said...

ps...Willow's comment is brilliant!
ditto.

Tom said...

glad it resonated Liza...these things always have a different meaning to everyone!