
Finally one day--and the sun was coming up over the rooftops, low and blinding--we decided to escape our dreary existence by fleeing into the streets on our Schwinn. It was a bicycle built for two. She rode up front and I followed, pedaling like mad, flying down the avenue like a bat out of hell or some other furry winged creature—but 'like a flying squirrel from a maple' doesn't conjure the appropriate madness of our wheeled behavior.
We were weary of the grind. Work, drive, eat, sleep. Even falling into love on the occasional sleepless evening was mundane. When carryout from the local pizza joint becomes unexciting because it has turned into standard fare, then life is upside down, and recklessness is in order. Yes, you must stand up and throw your arms above your head. You must scream out gibberish from your open window, regardless of the neighbors. Singing silly songs is a garnish for your Boredom Buster, the figurative sandwich of sustenance.
On the streets we gained our freedom, and we brought nothing to weigh us down. Ahead the road curved wickedly, no problem for adept cyclists, but for rusty weekend warriors on an ungainly contraption it proved too much, and down we went. She yelled brakes, I called out turn, and two cooks in the kitchen will sometimes burn the toast. So down we went, mere blocks from our humble abode, into the soft green divider, freshly mown and dewy yet for the morning sun had not begun to dry our little patch of Earth.
Is that enough violence for one day, she inquired while picking tiny blades of wet grass from her skin. The entirety of our left sides had sprouted green fur, but we came out unscathed for the most part.
Indeed, I replied, and we hauled up our torture equipment and escorted it back the way we came, slow and halting with the telling stumble of bruised thighs and supreme ineptitude. Tomorrow we shall conquer the Alps, while roaring Wagner and waving swords. All will flee from our glorious wrath and we will gain the summit.
And monkeys will fly out of our butts. Pizza and Parcheesi it is.

We were weary of the grind. Work, drive, eat, sleep. Even falling into love on the occasional sleepless evening was mundane. When carryout from the local pizza joint becomes unexciting because it has turned into standard fare, then life is upside down, and recklessness is in order. Yes, you must stand up and throw your arms above your head. You must scream out gibberish from your open window, regardless of the neighbors. Singing silly songs is a garnish for your Boredom Buster, the figurative sandwich of sustenance.
On the streets we gained our freedom, and we brought nothing to weigh us down. Ahead the road curved wickedly, no problem for adept cyclists, but for rusty weekend warriors on an ungainly contraption it proved too much, and down we went. She yelled brakes, I called out turn, and two cooks in the kitchen will sometimes burn the toast. So down we went, mere blocks from our humble abode, into the soft green divider, freshly mown and dewy yet for the morning sun had not begun to dry our little patch of Earth.
Is that enough violence for one day, she inquired while picking tiny blades of wet grass from her skin. The entirety of our left sides had sprouted green fur, but we came out unscathed for the most part.
Indeed, I replied, and we hauled up our torture equipment and escorted it back the way we came, slow and halting with the telling stumble of bruised thighs and supreme ineptitude. Tomorrow we shall conquer the Alps, while roaring Wagner and waving swords. All will flee from our glorious wrath and we will gain the summit.
And monkeys will fly out of our butts. Pizza and Parcheesi it is.

18 comments:
lol. that last line was amazing...but i will wave my sword!
Whoa, was the bike mangled? I like the way you write, sort of a meander, but just hitting the walls of the alley and continue on course. -J
handsome writing,
Happy Bike Theme Thursday!
Pizza and Parcheesi! I absolutely LOVE it. What a great ending line!
Nice thoughts...great posts!
Third paragraph and final line! OH MY GOSH! Hilarious, Tom! I loved it.
Hey, how is it I have not followed your blog which is one I surely follow? I actually hit the follower's button today. Should have before, never knew I hadn't.
A fellow by the name of Heinz Stucke left Germany on his three speed bicycle as a teenager and hasn't come back yet. That was 1961. He's been bicycling almost 50 years continuous and is one of the most travelled humans in the world (he held the record but rich jet setting wanna-be's overtook him when they started setting down on obscure atolls in the ocean, etc.) Yes, some have their sword and do conquer...
I love this story. L'chaim!!
LOL! That was amazing! I want a tandem!
Hahaha! Looks like you've shaken the doldrums! I had a similar experience only in an outrigger canoe rather than a tandem bike! It didn't end quite so amicably . . well not for a while. At least you hit the median strip and avoided grazed knees, remember what they feel like! Sting like a biatch! Bring on Wagner!
Ahh, of for a bicycle ride lol
great story
xoxo
Gosh, I can certainly relate. More often than not, recklessness is in order. I adore singing silly songs to chase away the grind. Love the monkey and pizza ending!
As addicting as your usual insanity is, your leveled prose (yeah, I'll call it that) is pretty fucking good.
Yeah, I cursed in your comment section... what of it?
One edit: "peddling like mad" should be "pedaling like mad."
i'm glad cycling is part of my figurative sandwich
was her name Daisy?
ha, my word verif. is fallyons
thanks again Jeff..i effing fixed my freakin' fuck-up.
Funny, yes, but I recognize it. Oh shit, do I recognize it. I want to live on the Schwinn. I want to take the summit. But then if you opt the pizza out for that, does it all become a flat disk of ordinary anyway? I wonder. I try anyway.
Fricken brilliant, She yelled brakes, I called out turn, and two cooks in the kitchen will sometimes burn the toast. And, Even falling into love on the occasional sleepless evening was mundane. Yes! Yes!
xo
erin
Must...sing...silly...songs...!
Not sure 'bout those monkeys tho'; but I'm in on th' pizza and Parcheesi ;)
http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/sunday-special-awards-for-remarkable-memes-and-participants/
Meme participation awards,
Happy Sunday.
Happy Mother's Day to Moms in your life, Cheers!
Post a Comment