these silly doodles don't really have anything to do with today's story...which is a little convoluted and twisted...beware.Alice Trudeaux, lunch maven at Hillside Elementary,
has been serving up wholesome meals for the school's
children for more than 30 years.
“I started here back in the 70's, when my own kids
were little. I wouldn't trade a minute of my time here
for the world!”
has been serving up wholesome meals for the school's
children for more than 30 years.
“I started here back in the 70's, when my own kids
were little. I wouldn't trade a minute of my time here
for the world!”
Lately though the schools statewide have been taking
a drastic hit from budget cuts. The tax base is shrinking
and bills just aren't getting paid. Something has got to give.
a drastic hit from budget cuts. The tax base is shrinking
and bills just aren't getting paid. Something has got to give.
This year some Hillside teachers and much of the staff are being laid off. The big heave ho.
“I'm not bitter,” says Alice. “Just because I've been a
faithful hardworking slave to these kids for 40 years, and
with little thanks; I guess it's time I left anyway.”
Alice is washing dishes but not softly. The forks and spoons
are flying. Many years ago her youngest child disappeared
from the school yard; to this day the mystery is unsolved.
“I'm not bitter,” says Alice. “Just because I've been a
faithful hardworking slave to these kids for 40 years, and
with little thanks; I guess it's time I left anyway.”
Alice is washing dishes but not softly. The forks and spoons
are flying. Many years ago her youngest child disappeared
from the school yard; to this day the mystery is unsolved.
Alice reminisces. “He was a good boy, well, he was a pill,
always getting into trouble. It's no wonder Jimmy came up
missing. I ain't knowing how, ain't sayin'.” She weeps a little
tear that gets wiped away with her pinkie. “We was having
money troubles back then, too. But the kids here were never
wanting for food, not with 'ol Alice about, no way. My boy,
I miss him some; he was a giver. That was a good lunch day.”
always getting into trouble. It's no wonder Jimmy came up
missing. I ain't knowing how, ain't sayin'.” She weeps a little
tear that gets wiped away with her pinkie. “We was having
money troubles back then, too. But the kids here were never
wanting for food, not with 'ol Alice about, no way. My boy,
I miss him some; he was a giver. That was a good lunch day.”
Hillside has had a long history of tragedy. In the school's
fifty years there have been seven unexplained disappearances.
4 boys and 3 girls, all within the last 25 years.
“Those were sad days, I remember 'em all. My little Jimmy,
and then Jenny and Bobby and Jill and Craig.... You know,
they was all ornery little pills, always underfoot. It's a
shame, but every cloud has a silver lining.”
fifty years there have been seven unexplained disappearances.
4 boys and 3 girls, all within the last 25 years.
“Those were sad days, I remember 'em all. My little Jimmy,
and then Jenny and Bobby and Jill and Craig.... You know,
they was all ornery little pills, always underfoot. It's a
shame, but every cloud has a silver lining.”
Hillside Elementary is barely hanging on these days. There
are the money woes and nightmarish tragedies; the state has
threatened to close Hillside for a decade, and if the economy doesn't
turn around soon, then the school will surely go the way of
much of its staff.
Alice isn't concerned. “I'm gonna stick around, you know,
in a volunteer type way. None of these precious little jewels
will go hungry as long as grandma Alice is here to feed 'em.
No way.”
are the money woes and nightmarish tragedies; the state has
threatened to close Hillside for a decade, and if the economy doesn't
turn around soon, then the school will surely go the way of
much of its staff.
Alice isn't concerned. “I'm gonna stick around, you know,
in a volunteer type way. None of these precious little jewels
will go hungry as long as grandma Alice is here to feed 'em.
No way.”
Alice is one of the lucky ones, she'll take an early retirement
and still receive some sort of income. She isn't thinking of
slowing down.
“Oh, they're a good bunch of kids. I love 'em.” One little
urchin runs through, knocking Alice's lunch cart and
scattering a tray across the floor.
“Most of 'em anyhows. Hey you Timmy, you skunk. You get
here an' pick this mess up, and then into the kitchen with you.
I need some lunch ideas.”
She sniggers and pinches his chubby cheek.
“Oh, another good lunch day—no, none of us is
goin' hungry today. And there'll be plenty in the freezer
for a week, oh yeah.”
and still receive some sort of income. She isn't thinking of
slowing down.
“Oh, they're a good bunch of kids. I love 'em.” One little
urchin runs through, knocking Alice's lunch cart and
scattering a tray across the floor.
“Most of 'em anyhows. Hey you Timmy, you skunk. You get
here an' pick this mess up, and then into the kitchen with you.
I need some lunch ideas.”
She sniggers and pinches his chubby cheek.
“Oh, another good lunch day—no, none of us is
goin' hungry today. And there'll be plenty in the freezer
for a week, oh yeah.”

23 comments:
It's not creamed spinach, it's Soylent Green...
After the ESEA, our farm stock lunch ladies made lavish hot lunches with huge homemade dinner rolls as big as my head. I think we all gained about 10 pounds.
yay Susan...you win the Chuck Heston Award.
God your a ghoul!
How Weird! I once worked in Cheshire as teacher in Hillside School !
dude...wickedly twisted...now we know what the mystery meat is...
One of the little boys should have been named Raoul. ;o)
it has got life in it...
Art Spark is right. too funny.
Wow...that was a great story..and the illustrations, the icing on the cake as always!
This is excellent!
you wave a good tale. You middle name Edgar????
cheers
Moondustwriter
I forgot to mention I love the drawings.
I kept saying, no no no no, Alica ain't cooking them boy-as! (nur gurls!) But shit, there she goes and pinches 'em ripe!
(Tom...thinking on your fear...feeling...just feeling is all.)
xo
erin
I would call the first drawing, "Your mind on school cafeteria food."
Hey Tom, do you channel these stories?
maybe...this one almost read like a special interest story in a periodical...so perhaps it is somebody's confession to my subconscious mind (assuming i have one)
FW never looked so good!
Hope all is well up there!
Cheers!
Yikes! Mystery meat indeed. I always thought there was something off with those lunch ladies.
This made me sad, Tom. Is it true? Please tell me no.
I like your art, as always.
i'd stay away from the pies
Amy...no way is it true...although if it comes across that way, then i guess i did something right.
1st time this month!
You got me! And yes, you did something write ;)! Right, that is.
Hahahah! A friend of mine shot a short film that is similar to this, so I kinda saw it coming, but I'm with you on the cannibalism!
Sort of "A Modest Proposal" in media res, no?
...
Comment moderation???
Post a Comment