Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"I'm burning, I'm burning!" --Wicked Witch of the East

Ouch, fire!


…girl we couldn’t get much higher, Come on baby, light my fire;
I can take you higher; Oh oh oh, I’m on fire;
You say you don’t like it, but girl I know you’re a liar,
‘cause when we kiss, fire.
I fell into a burning ring of fire…and it burns burns burns, the ring of fire.
We didn’t start the fire, it’s been always burning since the worlds been turning.



Could anybody know the entire list of songs singing about Fire?
No way, there’s bunches and oodles.



Fire !!!


It’s been around before something B.C.; before the wheel; before the cigar; before love or the back hoe; before macaroni & cheese!



It’s Fire, and it’s Hot! It’s the latest fad, here to stay…
But other than the occasional Boy Scout or Tom Hanks, how many people out there can really make fire from scratch?
Here is my mother’s recipe for Fire, handed down over the generations; it’s a big secret, but what the heck, here it is:
--Buy matches from the grocery.
--Keep matches in a cool dry location.
--Strike match tip on provided striker strip.
--Run like hell!




Fire is good for more stuff than I ever remembered to forget.


Some of the good stuff:
1)roasted wieners
2)roasted marshmallows
3)sparklers
4)Micheal Jackson Pepsi commercials
5)magic wand duels
6)keeping firemen employed
7)machine gun effects and explosions!
8)scaring away bears
9)jack-o-lanterns
10)leisurely strolls over hot coals.





Some favorite presidential moments involving Fire:



*George Washington chopped down a cherry tree, but did you know he burned down a Dutch Elm?
*Andrew Jackson rode around with a flaming arrow through his hat during an entire Indian raid; his troops snickered the entire time.
*T. J. (Jefferson) set Benjamin Franklin’s wig on fire for kicks. Often.
*Madison burned down the White House trying to spark a pilot light, and blamed it on the British.
*Lincoln carried around candles in the dark and made scary faces to scare the staff.
*Teddy Roosevelt haphazardly set Smokey the Bear aflame, but made reparation by appointing Smoky lifetime Forest Fire spokesbear.
*FDR supposedly began the famous Fireside Chats because Eleanor was a closet pyromaniac.
*JFK burnt his big toe on a bath side candle at Marilyn’s apartment.
*Jimmy Carter famously roasted peanuts in the Oval Office.
*Clinton eshued fire for his George Foreman Grill, weirdly over conspicuous of his love handles.
*George Bush loved flipping missile ignition switches and yelling: “Boom! Yeah baby!”
He also commonly flashed his nuclear codes and firing key at summits. It was so cute.



So, what’s your favorite Fire story?



....click on pictures for picture credits....

26 comments:

Dakota Bear said...

I like your mother's recipe. The doodles are clever as usual.

Ronda Laveen said...

Great fire etchings. My special favorit is #2 Roasted marshmallows. Golden brown with an occasional "burn the snark out of it"one. I am visioning Honest Abe making scary shadow faces at staff!

Kris McCracken said...

That's a lot of fire.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes...the old M.J. Pepsi spot! Flame on! And machine guns and explosions (sounds like what I did in the military ).

Here's some songs (you missed), "Burn in Hell"~~Twisted Sister. Too, just about every song by Black Sabbath. "Fire"~~David Bowie( oh wait, I see that one now, never-mind! )

"My old Flame"~~Spike Jones and his City Slickers

"Great Balls of Fire"~~Jerry lee Lewis. Goodness gracious!

"Smoke on the Water"( Deep Purple ), fire in the sky"

"Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll"/"Burnin' for You"/"Flaming Telepaths"/"Godzilla"~~Blue Oyster Cult; just to name a few.

I'd ad more but so many posts to read!

Tess Kincaid said...

Lincoln making scary faces in the dark old White House would scare the bejesus out of me!

Brian Miller said...

wow. grand tour de fire! and you went there with the MJ Pepsi commercial...lol. chasing my ring of fire...

Candie said...

ROFL!Great post!!lots of funny stuffs!Still on shock when my cousin and brother have been setting on fire my Barbie doll,lol.I didn't have time to do mine but I mentionned "The Doors" too(being a huge fan) and that I was on fire..lol!
That would do,lol!

Kurt said...

I was a Boy Scout, and I earned my wilderness survival merit badge, but we only learned to start a fire with a flint and steel.

The Clever Pup said...

Yer so funny. I like the top picture very much.

The songs are, if I'm not mistaken
The Doors
Sly
The Boss and/or the Pointer Sisters
Johnny Cash and
Billy Joel.

I know that's not what you asked. I'm just showing off.

Reyjr said...

umm.. Through the Fire?

Anonymous said...

The Sun! That's the only other kind of fire I could think of that you didn't mention. (you didn't, did you? Did I miss it?)

The pics are great. Love them doodles.

In the bath with Marilyn(I feel sweat poppin' out), are you sure it was the candle burned JFK's toe?

Oh yeah. Dang. The sunset picture. You did cover it all.

Nice work.

California Girl said...

Love the Wicked Witch. Wish I'd thought of her! DAmn!

Great Balls of Fire. That would be perfect!!!!!!

Tom said...

I'm sure i missed a lot about fire...especially songs...but that is why i am now going to try to get around to everyone else's posts now...wish me luck

Wings1295 said...

Very interesting info!

I love the flickering of flames in Jack-O-Lantern faces. Very cool.

Michael Rawluk said...

Youo gave me a Presidential chuckle.

pantelis said...

nice work, great broad use of the term, keep up the good work

Baino said...

Oh you're excelling yourself this week. All that research when I've barely had time to scratch. Song that comes to mind - Kings of Leon "Sex is on Fire" sounds slightly painful to me!

DineometerDeb said...

Thanks for sharing your family secret. Takes alot of courage to spill like that.

I'm a little suspicous of your presidential list though. By the time I got to the end, I was starting to think it might not be real.. ; )

Sandra Leigh said...

I love your, ahem, revisionist history - and your mother is a woman after my own heart. Very funny post.

Megan said...

"Fire is good for more stuff than I ever remembered to forget."

That's my favorite sentence of the day. The week. The month, even...

Lisa Ursu said...

Loved the opening and pic.
Additional songs:
I'm On Fire - Bruce Springsteen
Fire & Rain - James Taylor
What about the movie Firestarter (they should have started that movie on fire).
I can't imagine a time before macaroni & cheese.

Patrice said...

You are funny!

My favorite fire story: There are two old black and white photographs of me on my first birthday: the first is me pointing at the candle; the second is me crying after I burnt my finger...

Life lessons... sigh...

tony said...

Hot Post Sir!

Tom said...

Lot of good fire stuff out there,
and yeah, Firestarter was bad...
a lot of Stephen King books make really good movies...just not that one.
Also, i can't undrstand why no one believes my presidential 'facts'!

Mrsupole said...

I am so glad I am finally making it to the posts. Thank goodness IE is working now.

Yes there must be a lot of fire songs. I am seeing many on the posts. I loved your mom's rules. And the presidential fires are priceless. I laughed at a lot of these.

Thank you so much for this post.

God bless.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.