Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Theme Thursday : Library!

Library turns out to be a theme I can get more autobiographical about than others…
I thought I’d put out a partial list of some of the last 5 year’s reading … most of these books I checked out of the Library…
The list includes mostly titles, but some authors, as I have a way of latching onto a writer and slogging through almost to the end until I get sick of him/her:
Orson Scott Card -- I’ve nearly exhausted his catalogue.
The Silmarillion
Mort -- one of Pratchett’s best.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Day of the Triffids --actually on audio.
Angels and Demons -- better than his other, more famous, book.
Cannery Row --and the movie version of this is good.
Master and Commander ( and nearly the entire O'Brian series)
Bill the Galactic Hero --funniest sci-fi book ever.
The Last Unicorn --classic fantasy, a must read for fantasy enthusiasts.
If I Never get Back -- a good baseball story.
The Princess Bride -- if you liked the movie you’ll love the book.
The Rule of Four
To the Hilt -- one of many Dick Francis books, this is a favorite.
Gathering Blue
Life of Pi
Shawshank Redemption -- and a few other S.King books.
Evolution
Harry Potter -- some of these are better then others
Lint -- odd stuff , I like
Piers Anthony -- every once in awhile I get the yen for goofy fantasy
Woken Fury -- really good sci-fi , also Altered Carbon.
The Know it All
Bullfinches Mythology-- for research and for fun.
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Explorers of the New Century
Odd Thomas -- I’ve read a lot of Koontz over the years.
The Innocents Abroad -- Twain really cracks me up.
Money Ball -- good baseball book.
A Hole in Space -- Niven is a favorite sci-fi author
Next
A long way Down
Deep Survival -- this is neat piece of non-fiction.
A Thurber Carnival
Slaughterhouse Five-- all Vonnegut is good.
Dune
The Wild Trees
Seabiscuit
Ben Bova -- read a few in this time span, not bad.
Childhood’s End -- I go back to this every couple years.
The True Meaning of Smekday -- actually a kid’s book, but good.
Farewell Summer -- a later Bradbury book. Dandelion Wine is his best.
Eats, Shoots and Leaves.
Perdido Street Station-- I now love Mieville.
Night
On the Road --Kerouac, his style is wild/crazy
Cat’s Cradle
At the moment I am reading The Jungle, and I think it is going to take me the better part of this month.
If you’ve read any of these and feel like a quick comment, great, or maybe a suggestion on anything else you think might fit into this eclectic list would also be welcome ….
Enjoy!

17 comments:

Brian Miller said...

Nice. I love it when people post their book list as I am always looking for something new to read. I'll check them out. Thanks.

Tess Kincaid said...

Nice list. The only one I've read is "The Jungle". Have you read Sinclair's "Oil"?

The Clever Pup said...

My reading has decreased significantly since we put the old TV at the foot of the bed.

I'm lucky if I can get through 6 pages a night.

Colette Amelia said...

Loved the Life of Pi!

alas my reading has diminished since I concussed meself.

But in the past I loved Wilbur Smith, Bryce Courtney, Ken Follett, Nelson DeMille and then there was the trashy historical romances that I won't mention.

Another great read is the Gates of Fire about the battle of the Spartans.

I am hoping to get back to reading and your list will be handy!

Reya Mellicker said...

When I read fiction, I did the same thing - found an author I liked then proceeded to read Every Damn Thing they'd ever written.

Now I stick with a theme - like revisionist history or the brain for instance.

I do see your reading choices reflected in your amazing story/essays and of course in your drawings. Very cool.

Avid Reader said...

I see a lot to check out on this list. I really enjoyed "The Jungle" and am currently reading "King Coal"

I love all of Bradbury's writings, --my personal fave is "Something wicked this way Comes"

Cannery Row & it's sequel are both excellent reads.

I want to get into the O'Brian series...

Loved the princess bride!

Haven't read any pratchett ... yet!

great to see your list--

Tom said...

I didn't think putting up a reading list was going to be a good idea, but i see it was well received.
I haven't read 'Oil' but if i like the Jungle i might check it out.
A good book about the Spartans sounds like fun.
And i really recommend O'Brian...you will be pleasantly surprised how good they are...if you drive a lot try the books on tape...they are well done.

Anonymous said...

Niiiice list. Especially Asimov and Anthony

Cuppa Jo said...

I've read a goodly portion of these or at least certain authors. Never read 'Day of the Triffids' though the movie is entertaining. Thanks for the share.

Anonymous said...

I love reading lists of what other people read- and as I havn't read many of these, I will be back to glean ideas for titles for our reading group.

We did read Lisey's Story- our one-and-only SK, and it so gave us the creeps we havn't dared another!

Megan said...

I see Harry Harrison on that bookshelf. I am reading The Stainless Steel Rat right now! Well, not right now, I'm at work...

Megan said...

Oh, and I haven't read Mort yet. Getting there. Just finished Jingo...

Kris McCracken said...

As long as you give a book a proper go, you should have no problem stopping if it isn't working for you (I'm looking at you Bleak House).

Baino said...

Thanks for the list, read some, not most but always handy to have a bibliography to add to the volumes already collecting dust on my beside table!

lettuce said...

hmmm i always meant to go back to orson scott card...

tony said...

A Good Selection.Especially Mr Vonnegut .If God has a Library in Heaven then he is the Head Librarian!

Jeff said...

Hey, Mark Twain! Saw him on the Ed Sullivan show just the other night.