Wednesday, April 13, 2011

spring and the little man in my garden
























The William Shakespeare Mulberry is weeping quietly in my yard. I pruned him up this spring – cut him deep. Remnants of the past summer of his hairy dreams litter a sunken brick path now, and the little man who lives in my garden picks through the detritus. He is saying, 'tut, tut' like so much illusive Poo. The little man has been busy. How can someone so diminutive pack such a virulent punch? He is crooked from bending and creeping beneath the undergrowth, though at this early stage of the growing season he is fairly easy to spot. I can stand inside the picture window and see him easily as he sows his weed seeds like the curses that spew from his foul imp lips.

.

Yesterday I pulled binoculars from my closet to spy upon the circling hawks. They were hovering in packs over the near wooded lots of neighboring avenues. Toby stood against the window, thinking maybe I had spotted that rabbit he so doggedly pursues. I caught him lying on his side peering beneath the shed. Was he hoping the rabbit would come out to play? Probably not, as he oftentimes looks out the dining room window and menacingly growls at the fur-tailed rodent while it sups on shoots outside the front door. Fur-tailed indeed; but I would wear its lucky foot around my belt if I could catch it nibbling the shrubs down to a nub over the long winter dearth.

.

Today I will throw the trimmings on a fire and let the strong west winds carry the smoke away. I'll carve out another bed, lay the foundations of a short walking path leading from the fence to our short plank deck and try not to let the gruff rumblings of the little man who lives in my garden ruin a sunny day. The crisp air will cool my exertions while the wind cracklin blaze might muffle idle exacerbation from a gnome who dislikes fecund pleasantries. It's spring – bring it on.

9 comments:

Brian Miller said...

hehe...cant wait to hear what the gnome has to say about that...though a rather nice day it seems...

Baino said...

Aww spring at last as the leaves are falling down under. Sounds like you've been busy, or at least the 'little man'.

Garth said...

I love the middle bit but I don't believe in little men who live in the garden ;)

Tom said...

really? then who plants all the weeds?

PattiKen said...

That little imp in your garden is just screaming to be the hero in a Half-Moose-ian tale on 10thDoM, you know. I can hear him way over here. "Pick me. Choose me."

Garth said...

Weeds are merely plants that are deemed undesirable by gardeners.

Harnett-Hargrove said...

I believe the weeds are green and care-free. What could be better? -J

Tom said...

live and let live - i guess that's the general consensus among all you weed lovers out there

Lisa Ursu said...

I just love that opening sentence, and "cut him deep"

Live and Let Live,
yeah.
Let's do more of that shall we?

I "dig" this post : )