Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The night before the morning...

...a theme Thursday post.

It was a dark and stormy night.

But it cleared up soon enough.

Perry Doughnut just began a hum drum night walking the beat,
his beat through the powdered avenues of San Brancisco, the city that never sleeps.
Night, in the city; it seemed to go on and on. Anyway, that's the way it seemed
to Perry, as he slogged his way down alleys and over glazed intersections.
He wasn't looking for trouble, good biscuits and gravy, no; but trouble came looking,
like it always did.

Doughnut was swinging his heavy crumbudgeon in swirlys when is happened,
when a sweet little danish lady stumbled around the corner, nearly running into Perry;
her mini wheats bouncing as she rolled to a stop. They were small, but perky.

“Say sweets, what the rush?” Perry inquired, steadying the panting sweet goodie with
a calm spatula.

“They're after me, the Baker boys!”
The Baker boys! They were from over the Goldengriddle Bridge, over in Lake Taco, where the morning never ended. Bagels!

“Butter! Are you sure, lady? The Baker boys haven't been seen in these parts for, well, nights.”
Not since they absconded with the cow that jumped over the moon.
The cow never really jumped over the moon, but was the mascot of Jimmy Dean High,
and had bellowed “tricks are for kids” then vaulted the rival team's overzealous toucan, Sam, who had dropped his pants to the home team.
Presumably they needed the cow for its milk, the Baker boys were cereal offenders.

“Get behind me, dish,” I said, and not too soon, as the Baker boys appeared from the dark shadows and pulled up short when they saw me. I clunked my roll on my badge. They sizzled.

The biggest guy waffled, then stepped forward, like a slab of meat, like a juicy steak. He took his chances coming to the city that never slept. The city of appetizers and sweet dinner wines. The city who's citizens party hard all night and have a hearty appetite for a big, juicy main course. Guys like this never learn.

“Hey guys, look what we gots here; it's a slab of bacon. Whatcha think you're gonna do, bacon?” The boys mooed.

Now I'd been a beat bacon, er cop, for twenty years, and no $19.99 cut of gristle was gonna flip me
like a flapjack. They all came at me and, being no Froot Loop, I reached for my belt, pulling out my serrated utensils and salt and pepper.

“Bloomin' onions! You ain't seen the last of us, bacon!” And they scattered, like shrimp on a barbie; I phoned in an order for a side of backup, just to be safe.

“Come on, my little sweet roll,” I took her arm. “You could do with a drink;” aperitifs we do, we do 'em good here in our dusky city. The city that never gets as far as the next morning. Yeah, she was a hot cake, and I would've invited her over for breakfast (wink)...but that never happens here in the frosted streets of San Bransisco, the city that never sleeps.

26 comments:

Tom said...

donut sign by Neato coolville's photostream, flickr.
Toast by plurp's photostream, flickr.

all ways 11 o'clock said...

...first time here.
great to see humor in good writing again.
bravo!

ratatouille's archives said...

Hi! Tom,
I like your very unique noirish?!? TT entry...
...Thanks, for sharing!
DeeDee ;-D

Tess Kincaid said...

The biggest guy waffled? Please, not that!

Brian Miller said...

tom that is about the most amazing i ever read...and it left me hungry for more...lol.

Unspoken said...

"Yeah, she was a hot cake, and I would've invited her over for breakfast (wink)...but that never happens here in the frosted streets of San Bransisco, the city that never sleeps."

Oh my gosh! You are hilarious and clever all at once. great play on all the good things about breakfast along with an old fashioned twist!

I sent a friend your blog link today, and told her you are a writer not to be missed. I hope she reads this breakfast blog. Too funny. Love the (wink) ;).

Unspoken said...

BTW This was fun theme you picked. I can't wait to see what people did with it.

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Tom...I am just not sure whether to be hungry or just laugh! That was fun..."her mini wheats bouncing!"
Ha!

JeffScape said...

Only you, sir. Only you.

The Baker Boys?

HAHAHAHAH!

Michael said...

Oh what a very clever take. This made me laugh. Funny. nice job with all your breakfast tie ins.

Ed & Jeanne said...

Nice job on that one! Of course, any post with bacon is an ok post with me!

Anonymous said...

Tom, BRILLIANT! LMOA!! This could work into animated short ( and for some reason visions of "Burger Time" sprang forth )...!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

What a punderful work of breakfast!
Happy TT. -J

PattiKen said...

"It was a dark and stormy night." I love it. That was the perfect opening for the saga of Perry Doughnut's night in the City That Never Sleeps.

Well done!

My entry is up here.

Lisa Ursu said...

"her mini wheats bouncing as she rolled to a stop. They were small, but perky"

HA!

Angie Muresan said...

This is hilarious! And very good.

Christine H. said...

My mini wheats were bouncing uncontrollably when I read this.

CM said...

So humorous, I loved it!!! And yes, I'm a cop but no I don't like donuts :-)

Baino said...

Wow that's a bit different! Much fun I'd love to swirl a heavy crumbudgeon at someone in particular!

Tom said...

rrrr!? not me, i hope!

Unknown said...

WOW... your fiction on breakfast theme.
How clever and unique!

Wonderful TT post!

Happy Thursday!

Happy TT!

Did you know that I am now hosting a new meme?

Find out more Blog of the Week Please join us for the WEEKEND FUNNIES. Week #2 is this Friday to Sunday (March 19-21).

See you there?

hugs

shakira

UNSPOKEN BREAKFAST FOR THE SOUL Oscar Wilde-The IRISH Gentleman ART OF GENEROSITY

Jaime said...

that was great

Reya Mellicker said...

The doughnut sign is cool but I love the toaster the best.

I have never understood the allure of doughnuts. They always gave me stomachaches, so I don't eat them anymore.

A useless bit of info. Sorry, Tom!

California Girl said...

Clever clever clever

Mrsupole said...

Very cool using all the breakfast words in the story. I do like breakfast burritos and I think they do sell breakfast tacos too. Now I am hungry for donuts, but lately the grease in them gives me such bad heartburn that I cannot eat them. But that doesn't stop me from wanting them. I guess I will just have to have a toasted bagel instead.

God bless.

PS...We found a home for Maggie and a few weeks ago my Christmas present from youngest daughter arrived. It is a toy chocolate poodle puppy. I should be okay with the poodle because my mom always had poodles and my allergies were okay. Hubby named him "Bud" and he looks like a little Teddy Bear. I would have named him Bear, but hubby says no. We have waited over 4 months for this dog and if I am allergic to him then I guess I will never get a dog.

I hope he turns out to be as good a dog as Toby. I do miss Maggie and it would have been nice for Bud to have some company, but the cats seem to like him a lot. One of the grandsons will still see Maggie because his other grandparents took her. So she will still be part of the family, so to speak. And they have other chihuahua's, so she will have friends. At least I know she will be happy. They take good care of their dogs. I am not going to cut his tail off either. I just cannot do it to the little one, he is just too cute and wags that tail like crazy.

lettuce said...

wonderfully witty

no eggs tho?